A practical approach helps you learn and apply core concepts of community and public health nursing. This text emphasizes both community and family as client, so you’ll gain a solid understanding of these important specialties. Numerous real-life examples demonstrate your roles and responsibilities as a community health nurse. Not only is this text your leading source for need-to-know information, it is the only community/public health book to devote a full chapter to screening and referral!
- A unique chapter on screening and referral details the process of early detection of disease, a significant responsibility of community/public health nursing.
- Coverage of the community as client includes each step of the nursing process as applied to the community.
- Family coverage emphasizes the importance of viewing the family as a singular client.
- A chapter on community assessment provides a complete assessment tool, with application to two different types of communities.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes, including the Midcourse Review, reinforce the primary prevention aspect of community/public health nursing.
- A unique discussion describes the difference between geopolitical and social communities.
- Student-friendly features include Focus Questions, Chapter Outlines, Key Ideas, Learning by Experience and Reflection, and Suggested Readings.
- Practical application features include Case Studies, Ethics in Practice, and The Nursing Process in Practice.
- The companion Evolve website includes critical thinking questions, scenarios, and exercises challenging you to apply concepts to clinical situations.
- The new ANA Standards for Public Health Nursing are addressed in detail, helping you prepare for population-focused practice.
- The Minnesota Wheel of public health nursing interventions, a widely accepted framework for practice, offers a model for improving population health.
- Expanded information about managed care, health care reforms, and universal health care initiatives addresses the current issues in health care delivery.
- New content about Medicare Part D addresses prescription drug coverage and how it affects health care financing for elderly people.
- Recent national disasters and lessons learned from them are highlighted in a Disaster Management chapter.
- New coverage of human exposure to environmental chemicals and the impact of global warming on health explain important risks to public health.
- Expanded coverage of health literacy helps you provide needed patient education.
- A Study Aids section in each chapter lists the resources available on the companion Evolve website.